Property Assessment Appeal

Review the value notice that you receive during the first quarter of every year. If you do not agree with the property’s valuation or classification you have several methods of appeal available to you.

• First, call the Assessor’s Office to discuss your concerns with a deputy assessor responsible for valuing your property. Explain why you believe your property value is less than that indicated on the statement. The deputy assessor can explain how the property value and classification were determined. You may also want to obtain a copy of your county record and review it. Sometimes errors occur in data or physical characteristics of your home which could result in over-assessment in appraisal.

1. Informal conference.
County employees meeting with tax payer, assessing value, may or may not change in value.

2. Board of Equalization
These appeal forms are typically on county site, and have to be filed with county by the 3rd Monday in July. Tax payers meets county employees, if they cannot come to terms, a hearing officer will be available, that is not associated with the county, typically a 3rd party appraiser hired by the board, to render value decisions.
Evidence you should bring:
• if you recently bought property (last three years) a copy of your sales contract and closing statement.
• any evidence of problems with condition of property, like photos or bids from contractors.
• other properties selling in your area

3. State Tax Commission
If you’re not happy with the value you got from the board, you can file an appeal with the State Tax Commission. The State will send a state attorney to be the hearing officer, and normally requires an appraisal from an independent appraiser. If you file with the State Tax Commission, you must pay taxes under protest. This requires you to mail a letter with your payment saying they’re being paid under protest, pending the State Tax Commission hearing.